Potty training on a weekend
This is an intensive focused program implemented by parents continuously over several days (recommended on a long weekend or during holidays).
Before implementing the program, make sure that the child shows clear signs of readiness, especially expressions of a desire to stop using the diaper and a wish to switch to using the toilet. It is recommended to implement the program after a period in which the child has been exposed to related books and videos.
- Schedule a long weekend (two or three days) and dedicate it especially to the issue of potty training.
- During the few weeks leading up to that weekend, start talking to the child about the subject and make a series of preparations: go with the child to the store and buy new underwear for them while sharing the choice (colors, patterns) and turning the event into something exciting, happy and pleasant. A large number of pairs of underwear should be purchased (about 20) because at first there will be many replacements, and there will be no time to wash and dry. Having a large inventory of exchangeable couples reduces the pressure on parents
- Purchase with the child a doll that can be filled with water and can “pee”
- Prepare a large inventory of small prizes such as: stickers and tiny toys
- Begin the process by recruiting the child for the task of weaning the doll from diapers
- In the first stage, the doll is still wearing a diaper. Offer her to remove the diaper and learn to defecate in the bathroom
- With the child, remove the diaper from the doll, fill it with water and start a role-play where you play and talk to the doll. At some point, the doll announces (the role of the doll is played by one of the parents) that she feels the need to goto the bathroom. She is praised and complimented on the very recognition of the feeling and the request to vacate the bathroom. Take her to the bathroom in all its glory and allow her to pee in the bathroom. She is showered with compliments on her success, colorful stickers are affixed to her clothes and she can even be offered a small toy as a reward.
- Refill the doll with water. Continue to play different games and after a certain time she again announces the need to urinate in the bathroom. Repeat the process
- Repeat the process several times for about three to four hours. Care is taken to give the child a central role in caring for the doll, taking her to the bathroom and instructing her about lowering water, washing hands and also about awarding the stickers and prizes. It is recommended to sit the doll in the whole process on the toilet or on the potty – seat.
- Once every half hour, physically check the doll’s panties and praise her every time the panties are dry. Compliment the doll for its ability to hold back and keep dry underwear. She is occasionally offered a sticker or toy
- Throughout the process, the child is offered his or her favorite drinks, watermelon is also possible – all to fill the bladder with fluids and create pressure and the need to defecate.
- In many cases, at some point, the child himself will express a desire to join the doll and also remove the diaper. If there is no initiative on the part of the child, about three hours later, they are gently invited to join the process. Do not push the child and do not try to persuade them excessively. Parents should behave in a way that makes it clear that the child does not have to do anything to satisfy their expectations.
- If the child refuses to participate, leave them and continue the process with the doll
- If the child agrees to participate, remove the diaper and put on one of the new pairs of underwear
- With the child and the doll, go to the bathroom every half hour and try to keep the child sitting on the toilet for about five minutes.
- Praise the child in any case where they defecates in the toilet.
- . Encourage them to notify when they feel the need to vacate.
- Once every half hour, physically inspect their underwear, and praise them every time the underwear is dry.
- In such cases, give the child colorful stickers or toys and even call relatives (grandparents) and take pride in their achievement.
- At the same time, continue to check, take to the bathroom and praise the doll as well.
- When one feels real progress in the child’s reactions, move on to longer periods of an hour, then an hour and a half and so on, allowing them to discover more and more of their own entrepreneurship.
- Gradually, the child develops independence in the subject until he is completely independent.
It should be noted that the whole process does not always end within one weekend. In many cases, such a process gives a serious boost to the potty training issue, but requires additional work for a few more days or weeks. Prepare for the possibility of occasional setbacks, even after complete bowel and sphincter control appears to have been achieved. Such events should be accepted with understanding and without expressing anger and disappointment towards the child.